Work permit is mandatory for every foreign national seeking employment in Bangladesh. There are three government authorities issue work permit in Bangladesh.
- For private sector industrial enterprise, branch office and liaison office, outside of Export Processing Zone (EPZ) – Board of Investment (BOI).
- For employment of foreign national in the EPZ – Bangladesh Export Processing Zones Authority (BEPZA).
- For employment of foreign national in any NGO – NGO Affairs Bureau.
Work permit issued by BOI :
Private sector industrial enterprises, branch office, liaison/representative office desiring to employ foreign nationals are required to apply to BOI in a prescribed from. While issuing work permit, BOI usually follows the following guidelines:
- Only nationals of countries recognized by Bangladesh are considered for employment.
- Employment of expatriate personnel will be considered only in industrial/commercial establishments which are sanctioned/registered by the appropriate authority.
- Employment of foreign nationals is normally considered for the job for which local experts/technicians are not available.
- Persons below 18 years of age are not eligible for employment.
- A decision of the board of directors of the concerned company for new employment/employment extension is to be furnished in each case.
- The number of foreign employees should not exceed 5% in the industrial sector and 20% in commercial sector of the total employees, including top management personnel.
- Initially, employment of any foreign national is considered for a term of two years, which may be extended on the basis of merit of the case.
- Ministry of Home Affairs will issue necessary security clearance certificate.